Burling and Tuke secure Gold with race to spare; Team Jolly fight back into contention
While Sam Meech was securing Laser bronze, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke went out and extended their leading margin in the 49er class to become unbeatable and are now assured of Olympic gold after they sail Thursday’s medal race.
Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders sailed the race of their lives with a brilliant medal race victory in the Nacra class, but their fate was determined by the order in which the other nations crossed and they narrowly missed out on the podium and finish 4th.
Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie have pulled out a stunning performance today. Lying 7th overall after setbacks during the week the women went out and won races eight and nine back to back in the women’s 470, and move up to lie 2nd overall going into tomorrow’s medal race.
Great Britain are so extended on points that Aleh and Powrie will do battle with crews from USA, France and Japan to decide the silver and bronze medals.
Things couldn’t be closer going into the 49erFX medal race and kiwis Alex Maloney and Molly Meech are in contention for podium finish with just the medal race remaining. After today the women’s skiff pair is amidst a four way pile-up at the top of the leader-board.
With one point separating 1st and 4th, and then a 28 point gaps, Thursday’s medal race will determine which of the four crews get the medals, and in which order.
Josh Junior was 4th in the Finn medal race and he wraps up the Rio Olympic Games with a 7th overall.
In the men’s 470 Paul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox have a place in the starting line-up for the Men’s 470 class. They go in lying 9th overall.
49er Medal Race line-up (provisional) featuring Peter Burling and Blair Tuke
- Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (NZL) – 33 points
- Erik Heil and Thomas Ploessel (GER) – 67 points
- Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen (AUS) – 70 points
- Dylan Fletcher-Scott and Alain Sign (GBR) – 80 points
- Jonas Warrer and Christian Peter Lübeck (DEN) – 92 points
- Julien d’Ortoli and Noe Delpech (FRA) – 96 points
- Yago Lange and Klaus Lange (ARG) – 97 points
- Ryan Seaton and Matthew Mcgovern (IRL) – 103 points
- Diego Botín le Chever and Iago López Marra (ESP) – 108 points
- Lukasz Przybytek and Pawel Kolodzinski (POL) – 108.3 points
49erFX Medal Race line-up featuring Alex Maloney and Molly Meech
- Tamara Echegoyen Dominguez and Berta Betanzos Moro (ESP) – 46 points
- Martine Soffiatti Grael and Kahena Kunze (BRA) – 46 points
- Jena Hansen and Katja Salskov-Iversen (DEN) – 46 points
- Alexandra Maloney and Molly Meech (NZL) – 47 points
- Sarah Steyaert and Aude Compan (FRA) – 75 points
- Giulia Conti and Francesca Clapcich (ITA) – 76 points
- Charlotte Dobson and Sophie Ainsworth (GBR) – 81 points
- Annemiek Bekkering and Annette Duetz (NED) – 85 points
- Paris Henken and Helena Scutt(USA) – 94 points
- Victoria Jurczok and Anika Lorenz (GER) – 94 points
Women’s 470 Medal Race line-up (provisional) featuring Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie
- Hannah Mills and Saskia Clarke (GBR) – 28 points
- Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie (NZL) – 48 points
- Annie Haeger and Briana Provancha (USA) – 49 points
- Camille Lecointre and Hélène Defrance (FRA) – 50 points
- Ai Kondo Yoshida and Miho Yoshioka (JPN) – 52 points
- Afrodite Zegers and Anneloes van Veen (NED) – 59 points
- Tina Mrak and Veronika Macarol (SLO) – 65 points
- Fernanda Oliveira and Ana Luiza Barbachan (BRA) – 68 points
- Lara Vadlau and Jolanta Ogar (AUT) – 74 points
- Agnieszka Skrzypulec and Irmina Gliszczynska (POL) – 96 points
Men’s 470 Medal Race line-up (provisional) featuring Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox
- Sime Fantela and Igor Marenic (CRO) – 27 points
- Panagiotis Mantis and Pavlos Kagialis (GRE) – 38 points
- Mathew Belcher and William Ryan (AUS) – 40 points
- Stuart Mcnay and David Hughes (USA) – 67 points
- Anton Dahlberg and Fredrik Bergström (SWE) – 69 points
- Luke Patience and Chris Grube (GBR) – 69 points
- Matthias Schmid and Florian Reichstädter(AUT) – 73 points
- Sofian Bouvet and Jeremie Mion (FRA) – 79 points
- Paul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox (NZL) – 92 points
- Yannick Brauchli and Romuald Hausser (SUI) – 92 points
NZL Sailing Team Results
Sam Meech (Laser) Bronze Medal Laser
Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders (Nacra) 4th
Josh Junior (Finn) 7th
Full results are available on the Rio 2016 website: https://www.rio2016.com/en/schedule-and-results
Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie – W470 – Medal Race (1305 Brazil/0405 NZ)
Paul Snow-Hansen and Dan Willcox – M470 – Medal Race (1405 Brazil/0505 NZ)
Alex Maloney and Molly Meech – 49erFX – Reserve Day
Peter Burling and Blair Tuke – 49er – Reserve Day
NZL Sailing Team Rio 2016 Media Guide here http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/racing/olympic/2016-olympic-sailing-team
In total, 380 sailors from 66 nations will race in 274 boats across ten Olympic Events across seven racing areas in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
For more information:
Rio tel: 21973483812