RNZYS Members win Yachting Excellence Awards
Congratulations to RNZYS members Mark Mulcare, Phillip Robertson, William Tiller, Stewart Dodson, Rick Dodson, Chris Sharp, Andrew May as well as honorary members Jo Aleh, Polly Powrie, Peter Burling and Blair Tuke have all received performance awards in their fields.
– see full YNZ release below
Another standout year in New Zealand yachting and boating will be celebrated on 25 November as the Volvo Yachting Excellence Awards honours significant achievements and services made to the sport in 2016.
A highly successful Olympic cycle is reflected in the list of this years’ performance winners, with the entire kiwi sailing team named among those announced by Yachting New Zealand today. The evening will also place a big emphasis on service award recipients, paying tribute to the individuals and groups to have worked tirelessly across the regions to support all facets of sailing as well as the talented youngsters to have achieved success over the year.
In addition to the evening’s celebrations, the 2016 HRG Sailor the Year will be named to receive the prestigious Sir Bernard Fergusson trophy. The top honour, dating back to 1963 and presented annually, is New Zealand’s highest recognition within the sport of sailing and will see the winner join a long list of highly accomplished kiwi sailors.
Also under wraps until 25 November are winners in the Volvo Young Sailor of the Year and Aon Emerging Talent Award, Nespresso Coach of the Year, Zhik Official of the Year, as well as the Yachting New Zealand President’s Award, supported by Fuji Xerox.
Tickets are on sale from next week.
Winners announced today are;
Yachting New Zealand Service Awards for 2016
Recognising contribution and service at club, regional and/or national level.
- Ann Hatch – for services to New Plymouth Yacht Club
- Bob Davies – for services to Wanganui Yacht Club
- Graham Thow & Des Rouse – for services to Northcote Birkenhead Yacht Club
- Jim and Margaret Park – for services to Christchurch Yacht Club
- Keith Hay – for services to Mt Pleasant Yacht Club
- Leslie Rogerson – for services to Wakatipu Yacht Club and Southland Yachting Association
- Mark Mulcare – for services to yacht race handicapping
- Mike Underwood – for services to Waikawa Boating Club
- Sally Garrett – for services to Royal Akarana Yacht Club
- Spring Chickens Volunteer Group – for services to Lowry Bay Yacht Club
- Viki Moore – for services to Naval Point Club Lyttleton
Yachting New Zealand Cruising Awards for 2016
- Simon Willis
Yachting New Zealand Performance Awards for 2016
- Alex Maloney and Molly Meech – 49erFX, Silver Rio Olympics 2016
- David McDiarmid, Matthew Steven, Bradley Collins – 18ft skiff, 2nd JJ Giltinan Champs
- Gemma Jones and Jason Saunders – Nacra 17, 4th Rio Olympics 2016
- Jo Aleh and Polly Powrie- Women’s 470, Silver Rio Olympics 2016
- Josh Junior – Finn, 7th Olympics 2016
- Paul Snow-Hansen and Daniel Willcox – Men’s 470, 10th Rio Olympics 2016
- Peter Burling and Blair Tuke – 49er, Gold Rio Olympics 2016
- Phillip Robertson, William Tiller and Stewart Dodson – 1st World Match Racing Tour 2016
- Rick Dodson, Chris Sharp and Andrew May – Sonar class, 4th Rio Paralympics 2016
- Sam Meech – Laser, Bronze Rio Olympics 2016
- Sarah Dunckley – Hansa Liberty class, 1st World Championships 2016
Yachting New Zealand Youth Performance Awards for 2016
- Eli Leifting and Rose Dickson (Royal Akarana Yacht Club) – RS Fever, 4th RS Fever Worlds 2016
- George Gautrey (Muritai Yacht Club) – Laser Radial, 2nd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Kate and Greta Stewart (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er girls, 3rd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2016
- Jackson Keon and Nick Egnot-Johnson (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 29er class, 2nd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Josh Berry and Henry Haslett (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 420 class, 1st NZ Nationals, 2nd Australian Nationals, 16th Open Worlds 2016
- Kerensa Jennings and Chelsea Rees (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – 420 girls 9th ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015
- Robbie McCutcheon (Wakatere Boating Club) – P Class 2016 Tauranga and Tanner Cup winner
- Tamryn Lindsay and William McKenzie (Murrays Bay Sailing Club) – SL16 class, 3rd ISAF Youth Sailing World Championships 2015