Bronze Medallist set to provide stiff competition in Yachting Developments New Zealand Match Racing Championships
The Yachting Developments New Zealand Match Racing Nationals will be kicking off on Thursday 13th October where 20 of the world’s top skippers will be racing for the title of NZ’s top match racing team.
Make sure you get down to the RNZYS on Sunday 16th October to watch the finals. PJ Montgomery, the voice of yachting will be commentating and broadcasting live within a 1km radius of RNZYS on 102.4 FM.
The RNZYS members bar will be open to the public for viewing, and racing will be right up close to the sea wall giving viewers a chance to see these top sailors in action.
Favourites for the coveted title include defending champion Chris Steele who is currently ranked 8th in the world, but he will have his work cut out for him this year.
Other teams to watch will be Sam Meech who is fresh off of his Olympic bronze medallist success in the 2016 Games. This will be Meech’s first time competing in International Match Racing and will be facing off against other professional sailors such as David Chapman and Evan Walker from Australia,
Graeme Sutherland and his rock star team of Mike Bullot, Dave Hazard and Tim Snedden.
Also joining us for the first time is Malaysian sailor Jeremy Koo and his Sime Darby racing team who have recently climbed to 14th in the world match racing rankings.
Skipper list Country World Ranking Yacht Club
- Chris Steele NZL 8th RNZYS
- Jeremy Koo MAL 14th RSYC
- George Anyon NZL 39th RNZYS
- Evan Walker AUS 79th CYCA
- Oakley Marsh NZL 169th RPNYC
- Mathew Hughes NZL 193rd RNZYS
- David Chapman AUS 331st RSYS
- Alan Quere FRA 432nd CNC
- Sam Meech NZL Un ranked TYPBC
- David Wood NZL Un ranked MCC
- Robert Hielkema NZL Un ranked BOIYC
- Patrick Haybittle NZL Un ranked RNZYS
- Graeme Sutherland CAN Un ranked RNZYS
- Celia Willison NZL Un ranked RNZYS
- Erica Dawson NZL Un ranked MBSC
- Frankie Dair USA Un ranked KKCC
- Henry Haslett NZL Un ranked WBC
- Matthew Steven NZL Unranked RPNYC
- Tom Fyfe NZL Un ranked MBSC
- Brian Trubovich NZL Un ranked RNZYS
The event will be raced in the Squadrons fleet of Elliott 7 metre keel boats, built by event sponsor Yachting Developments in 2010. It is Fantastic to have the backing of Yachting Developments as we continue the proud history of match racing in New Zealand.