COVID-19 RNZYS Member Update
The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has taken steps to protect our members and your club environment whilst dealing with what is fast escalating into a global issue like we have never seen.
We would like to update you on some of the measures we have taken to ensure your safety and wellbeing while you continue to sail and visit the club.
Due to the dramatic decrease in visitation and events at the club we are reviewing our operating hours and staffing levels, we would like your understanding as we implement these changes.
We are closely following the Ministry of Health guidelines and monitoring advice with regards to sports and events. We encourage you to also follow their guidelines and best practices. You can contact the national Healthline on their designated COVID-19 number on 0800 358 5453 or visit their website HERE
As a group we can all do our part to help limit the spread of the virus and your safety is paramount.
These are the steps we have taken at the Club:
- Implemented a rigorous ongoing cleaning schedule with special focus on high touch points such as door handles
- Ensured all our bathrooms are continually topped up with soap, sanitiser and hand towels
- Held and continuing to hold ongoing briefings and updates with staff and teams
- Social distancing e.g. holding meetings over phone, video conferencing, no physical contact
What you can do:
- Wash hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water and drying hands and/or using hand sanitizer.
- Avoid close contact with people with cold or flu-like illnesses
- Self isolate and don’t come into the Club if you believe you’ve been exposed to the virus. Also please seek immediate medical attention
- Practice social distancing (1 metre away or more)
- More information via the Ministry of Health website HERE
In general our on-water sailing events will carry on as scheduled. Some prizegivings will be postponed, but the Members Bar will be open post racing if you choose to have a drink or something to eat with your crew. We will continue to monitor, assess and advise you of any changes.
- 36 Degrees Brokers Squadron Picnic (scheduled for this Sunday) – Postponed (date TBA)
- Havana Club Rum Racing (Friday) – No Change
- Club Marine Wednesday Night Series PRIZEGIVING ONLY – Postponed (date TBA)
- New Members Night – Postponed to October
Again we will be updating members regularly and we trust you understand.
We all know, being on and near the water is good for the soul, as well as for boosting immunity, so head out on your boat, keep supporting our sailing events and use your club to a level you feel comfortable with.
We are continually monitoring the situation with your safety and wellbeing central to our decisions. This is a very fluid time so things will continue to change and we appreciate your understanding on this.
We are open!!
Hayden Porter CEO and the RNZYS Flag Officers