RNZYS recognised as Yachting New Zealand Clean Club
RNZYS is pleased to be recognised as a level 3 Clean Club as part of Yachting New Zealand’s world-leading initiative for yachting and boating clubs to help protect and enhance the coastlines, oceans, and waterways across the country. As sailors our passion revolves around the water. We maintain a unique relationship between our sport, the club and the environment and feel strongly about the state of the seas and oceans. It is this passion that drives RNZYS and its members to seek improved ways to protect and conserve our marine environment.
Yachting New Zealand’s Clean Club programme developed in conjunction with New Zealand Sail GP Team and endorsed by Sailors for the Sea is designed to encourage yacht clubs to adopt environmentally sustainable practices and has three levels of certification. To achieve level 3, clubs must demonstrate a commitment to environmental sustainability and have implemented practices to reduce their environmental impact.
The Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron has demonstrated its commitment to environmental sustainability by implementing a range of initiatives. Some of these many initiatives include;
- Exclusive use of Ecostore products in our club facilities, showers and at Lidgard House for safer and more sustainable cleaning
- The Kawau reforestation project which has seen 5000 native trees planted on the land surrounding Lidgard House
- Eliminating single use plastics in all practical places
- Regular participation in the Sailors for the Sea Clean Regattas Programme with a baseline standard of running ‘gold’ regattas
- Reducing, reusing and recycling waste wherever practicable including composting coffee grounds from Lighthouse café and repurposing the Squadron’s Elliott 7 fleet sails when they reach end of life
Read more about the Yachting New Zealand’s Clean Club initiative here.